Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Virtual Domain Controllers

OK - my domain has 2 Domain Controllers that are physical (real servers).  I'm tired of the noise and space footprint in my office.  So, I've decided to create 2 new virtual machines (DC03 and DC04), promote them to domain controllers, move the roles over to them and then demote the old domain controllers (DC01 and DC02). However, when I tried to just DCPromo them, I got an error message:
The version of the ActiveDirectory schema of the source forest is not compatible with the version of the Active Directory on this computer

Resolution: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917385

Here's my basic steps:

  • Create 2 VMs with Windows 2003 Standard R2 x86 OS

  • on DC01, copy CMPNENTS\R2\ADPREP from disk 2 of Windows 2003 STD R2

  • Open command prompt


  • ADPrep /ForestPrep

  • Warning message will appear. As long as all DCs are 2003 and up, type C, hit ENTER

  • Wait.......

  • When completed, log off DC01


  • Log onto DC03, Run DCPromo. When completed, reboot and repeat on DC04.

  • Install DNS role to new DC03 and DC04. Validate all DNS Properties of the DNS and Forward lookup settings are the same between DC01 the new DC03 and DC04 DNS servers

  • In stall WINS on DC03

  • Install Remote Access VPN on DC03

  • Install DHCP on DC03 (dont forget to Authorize it when you're done)

No comments:

Post a Comment