The resolution for this was to add the following registry key
1) Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2) In Registry Editor, locate and then click the following registry key:
3) Right-click Lsa, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4) Type DisableLoopbackCheck, and then press ENTER.
5) Right-click DisableLoopbackCheck, and then click Modify.
6) In the Value data box, type 1, and then click OK.
7) Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer.
- stopped the "Office SharePoint Server Search" service from Central Administration
- restarted the "Office SharePoint Server Search" service from Computer Management > Services and Applications > Services
- started the "Office SharePoint Server Search" service in Central Administration
- reconfigured the search settings
- did a full index AND an incremental search. The full index did not give me complete results, so I had to run the incremental.